OCCS Serve-A-Thon 2016
Dear OCCS Family and Friends,
Monday, September 19, 2016 will begin our annual Serve-A-Thon. For many years our annual fall fundraisers centered around selling various items and rewarding those who sell with prizes. The school in turn received a portion of the ‘profits’, usually between 40% – 50%. Parents were often the ones who bore the major part of the burden of selling the items, collecting the money and then distributing the items at the end.
The Serve-A-Thon is a very different approach to fundraising. Here is how it works:
- Each student in grades Pre-K–8 participates in a community service project during the school day at various areas around the school or in the community.
- Families will fill out donation request forms, provided by the school; address and stamp the forms, and bring them to OCCS so they can be recorded. We are asking each student to bring in at least 10 addressed and stamped mailers. These donation request forms will be mailed from the school.
- Students receive credit for each donation request form brought in and will receive various rewards.
- All students will participate in the service projects whether or not their family fills out donation request forms.
- Those who receive a donation request in the mail will make donations directly to the school so families do not have to collect money.
- Students will write thank you notes to those who responded by making a donation.
- The school is able to use 100% of the donations collected toward various school expenses, special projects, and building improvements.
- OUR GOAL THIS YEAR IS $18,000! This is totally possible.
Other schools that have conducted this fundraiser have received countless reports of the blessing to the students and families as they selflessly served others and, in turn, others were blessed by the children’s acts of service. We want to follow the command in James 1:22 to be “doers of the Word, and not hearers only!” This is a wonderful opportunity to cultivate the heart of a servant in our students by serving our community.
In His service,